Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2

Go down 
+8
Wayne
T. Myers
Tic706
D.Powell
parker lewis
KJ Styles
SyRuP Sippa
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:20 pm

He's always been consistent lyrically, but let's keep it real, G Rap took Rakim's flow and word play and applied it to gangsta rap - that's what it comes down to, right?
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:23 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
He's always been consistent lyrically, but let's keep it real, G Rap took Rakim's flow and word play and applied it to gangsta rap - that's what it comes down to, right?

??????

both of these dudes came out in 1986...Rakim with Eric B For President and My Melody and Kool G Rap with It's A Demo and I'm Fly.....so that above is WRONG....sorry "Rap Pro"....good try though man
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:23 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Hmmm. I don't know about that. G Rap came out around the same time as Rakim. I think NY influenced that style more than Rakim. G Rap was in a whole other lane from Ra. Just from the fact most of his rhymes are always in story form.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:24 pm

It seems like some consistent criteria would have to be established. Just electing favorites would be a mess, since nobody's opinions are going to match up. That's specifically where G Rap would run into first round trouble. He doesn't have the universal exposure to compete with better-knowns like Nas, Pac, Eminem, etc.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:25 pm

I have NEVER heard anyone say that Kool G Rap and Rakim sound alike...NEVER

now EPMD sounding like Rakim?? maybe...Twin Hype sounding like Rakim?? maybe...but Kool G Rap?? NEVER heard that theory...lol
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:30 pm

parker lewis wrote:
It seems like some consistent criteria would have to be established. Just electing favorites would be a mess, since nobody's opinions are going to match up. That's specifically where G Rap would run into first round trouble. He doesn't have the universal exposure to compete with better-knowns like Nas, Pac, Eminem, etc.

Of course and thats the problem. We are just going off a hypothetical situation created by Tran. I mean if it was just heads that made the qualifying decisions than the votes would change big time. But if we are including the world wide mainstream audience there will be some funny business.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:38 pm

I never said Kool G and Rakim sounded alike. All I said is he combined elements that Rakim introduced with gangsta rap. He is credited for making "mafia" rap too. But that's really where his influence stops for me.

It's A Demo are not what made kool g rap popular. It's only when he combined the wordplay with gangsta elements that he became the legend he is today. I'm Fly was the start of it, but Rakim still dropped an album before him and you can't tell me he didn't get influence by Rakim. That's just subjective bullshit there.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:42 pm

I think this first ballot covers mainstream and would still be head approved. 12: 8MCs, 2Producers/DJs, 2Groups

First Ballot:

2Pac
Biggie
Eminem
LL Cool J
Jay-Z
Nas
Rakim
Kool G Rap
Dr. Dre
DJ Premier
Run DMC
Wu-Tang Clan

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:48 pm

I think the streets of NY influenced there style more than any person. I mean BDK, KRS, G Rap, LL, & Rakim or the epicenter of east coast legendary rap. They evovled a rap style from the old guard. I think its safe to say they inspired each other more so than influenced each other.

Last edited by TicNitty706 on Sat 23 Apr 2011, 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:49 pm

Kool G has n o business in before Scarface...lol
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:55 pm

G Rap took the multis in rhyming to the next level, that has literally influenced that entire style of rap. Im not talking about his influence on gangsta rappers, im talking about his influences on the technicality of rapping. He literally influenced an entirre technique of rapping and no one IMO has used multis at his speed better, more often, or more consistently.

In terms of consistency...4,5,6 = classic
Giancana Story = amazing
Roots of Evil = pretty good

and who the hell said you have to consistently drop albums year after year to stay releveant? Thats ridiculous, to me that hurts an artist and takes away from their legacy because it waters their shit down more often than not..gimme an album every 2.5-3 years and im happy...more than that gets annoying to be honest

Also, G Rap is probably the only rapper from the 80's who hasn't lost a step. His new shit that I've heard he is still doing shit at the same pace, with the same quality in lyrics, the crazy breath control, everything that he did back then. That track "Scarface Snow" is dope as shit

murders every guest spot, murders every verse, murders everything

G Rap could have retired in '94 and never made an album again and he'd still be first ballot...if he retired after LALT thats 3 albums better than most rappers lives; if he never rapped again since '94 besides guest spots he'd still get the same respect he does today

He had the gangster subject matter, the storytelling better than most rappers ever, the flow/multis, the voice, everything in an MC, along with classic albums and influence on over hundreds of rappers--gangsta or not...in fact id say his influence was much more on style than substance, but a large part is due to both

Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:57 pm

When G Rap debuted he didn't have the multis he did later on...lol...but like I said, if you feel multis gets him in you are entitled to. But if you listen to ill street blues you telling me G Rap hadn't changed his style by then? and he hadn't been influenced himself?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 6:59 pm

Even if he changed his style by Ill Street Blues he evolved his style and no one used the multis like that at the time, or at least the way he did it
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 7:01 pm

im also one of the few who thinks Canibus is an auto-hall of famer

when you have 50+ rappers or people in the indusry calling you a GOAT or one of the illest ever, as Canibus does or has in the past, thats good enough for me!
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 7:13 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I never said Kool G and Rakim sounded alike. All I said is he combined elements that Rakim introduced with gangsta rap. He is credited for making "mafia" rap too. But that's really where his influence stops for me.

It's A Demo are not what made kool g rap popular. It's only when he combined the wordplay with gangsta elements that he became the legend he is today. I'm Fly was the start of it, but Rakim still dropped an album before him and you can't tell me he didn't get influence by Rakim. That's just subjective bullshit there.

You're wrong yet again. Road To The Riches did make Kool G Rap popular. Yes he was influenced by Rakim BUT many MC's have named G Rap as an influence. Also, go back to those "Top 5 Dead Or Alive" features that rappers have been dropping and G Rap shows up on like 3/4's of them. Some of which from rappers that you wouldn't expect them to show up on. Your boy Bun B even had him in his Top 5, Pedro.

The man is an auto HOF'er because he is respected from coast to coast in Hip-Hop nation, has influenced a ton of MC's, and is one of the best storytellers in the history of the game.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 9:03 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
im also one of the few who thinks Canibus is an auto-hall of famer

when you have 50+ rappers or people in the indusry calling you a GOAT or one of the illest ever, as Canibus does or has in the past, thats good enough for me!

Sucka please!!!!!!!! and Boy Stop!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 10:55 pm

Dont make me son you again Kev, but i will...

QUOTES from other Artists about Canibus ✭

✭ ✭ ''Str8 up he is more than a battle MC and his delivery to me is ill...just listen to him. If you don't like him then you shouldn't be listening to Hip Hop'' - EMINEM

✭ ✭ ''The niggaz simply the hottest, dopest underground Emcee ''- BUSTA RHYMES

✭ ✭ ''Came str8 out the muthafuckin box like hes been there for 10 years. His rhythm is incredible'' - RAKIM

✭ ✭ ''lyrical standard for
all Emceez'' - PHAROAH MONCH

✭ ✭ ''He's dope to me'' - PROOF

✭ ✭ ''Innovative, spontaneous, he's just ridiculous. Im feeling him'' - FUNK FLEX

✭ ✭ '' He's off the rocker. The world aint ready for him''- LOST BOYZ

✭ ✭ '' The illest in a long time'' - DJ CLUE

✭ ✭ ''He's the leader of the new school''. - STEVE STOUTE (TRACKMASTERZ)

✭ ✭ '' The Tazmanian Devil of rap ''- AZ

✭ ✭ ''He's the rap Nostradamus, 1 of the best I ever heard '' - WYCLEF

✭ ✭ "Yo, the niggaz that use to have a bunny a little nervous was;
B.I.G., 'Pac, and Canibus, them 3 niggaz use to have me like
If we go at it dawg we gotta go HARD!" - Nas (at his L.A. Listening Party on December 14th, 2006)

✭ ✭ ''1 of the rawest there is...He even ripped me on my own song'' - COMMON

✭ ✭ ''Lyrically, can't no 1 really compare to him. He says Shit that you have to think about for 10 years before you get it''. - THIRSTEN HOWL III

✭ ✭ '' Head and shoulders above the rest, incredible'' - MARLEY MARL

✭ ✭ '' He's bananas dog. When I first heard him rhyme, I thought he was from another planet '' - DMX

✭ ✭ '' He's someone who I would be scared to battle'' - RAS KASS

✭ ✭ ''I never ran into anybody that overwhelmed me like Bis'' - KILLAH PRIEST

✭ ✭ ''I feel sorry for any rapper think they equal to Bis'' - VINNIE PAZ

✭ ✭ '' He's like the boxer all the well known boxers duck''. - CORMEGA

✭ ✭ '' His one dream (Big Pun) always, was to do a song with Canibus....Dude is simply amazing'' - Fat Joe

"canibus...in my opinion is one of the top 2 lyricist to EVER live...i dont even know who the other guy would be.but if there were only 2 to select he would be one of them..."
--K-Rino

Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 11:46 pm

I'm pretty sure you can line up quote lists similar to this for a lot of MCs. Canibus is incredibly dope lyrically, but nah... he wouldn't make my first 3 or 4 ballots for hip-hop hall of fame. That's just me though.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 12:02 am

Son me? Bitch please.

You just went and got some quotes of rappers giving him some accolades and talking shit like they always do. I hear rappers talk about how dope a another rapper is all the time. I take it with a grain of salt. The question was not was Canibus respected in the game the question was is he HOF worthy and the "50+ rappers" that say he's a GOAT. You claimed he had 50+ rappers calling him a GOAT, not one of them mofo's said shit about him being a GOAT really.

Sometimes try taking a deep breath and thinking before you go stan up all that bullshit. You couldn't son me if I even decided to play role reversal with you. Now back in your place.....SON.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 12:15 am

Laughing My Ass Off
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 12:20 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
Laughing My Ass Off

Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 313114 x 2

But on the real do not put to much faith in interview quotes from rappers and industry folks. They get talked to so much they say all type of shit. I'm not saying they do not really mean anything they say but a lot of that shit be just for the moment. They will say one thing with this publisher than another at this radio station. Ask them about a young HOT artists right now and most of them will say some of the same shit.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 1:05 am

It's funny how you guys don't see yourselves just playing favorites. The reasons you're giving to qualify your picks are the exact reasons I was told weren't strong enough to qualifyKP.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 1:07 am

parker lewis wrote:
It's funny how you guys don't see yourselves just playing favorites. The reasons you're giving to qualify your picks are the exact reasons I was told weren't strong enough to qualifyKP.

+1
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 1:13 am

And, lundquist, G Rap would definitely get bumped off that list for Snoop or Ice Cube.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 2:37 pm

parker lewis wrote:

Kool G Rap would get in before Killah Priest guaranteed, if KP even got in at all.

And no, I'm not playing favorites. If that were the case then I would have said yes to AZ and Nice & Smooth and no to Lil Wayne and E-40.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 3:17 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
parker lewis wrote:

Not my point at all. I agree that G Rap should go before Priest. However, you yourself said that respect within the industry should not be a factor when discussing KP,.just to turn around and cite that same reasoning to justify G Rap's eligibility.

Just a little inconsistent, that's all.

Kool G Rap would get in before Killah Priest guaranteed, if KP even got in at all.

And no, I'm not playing favorites. If that were the case then I would have said yes to AZ and Nice & Smooth and no to Lil Wayne and E-40.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 10:59 pm

I like Killah Priest, but the thing is that he isn't as well known throughout hip-hop nation as G Rap is, and if you're not well known your chances of getting in the HOF are slim at best.

Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 11:03 pm

This isn't a popularity contest though and that's only one factor. Didn't heavy mental go gold? r close? That would make him at least as well known as people like KGR, Gangstarr, etc.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 11:14 pm

i would personally put all the HRSMN in, and i really do think they would get in. the people voting dont just look at who's popular, the people voting will obviously take mic skills LARGELY into account. Vince Carter is getting into the hall of fame and he hasnt won anything neither has AI, yet people recognize them as some of the illest. Thats how it will be with rappers. I compare the wons that went multiplatinum to the gus that have won it all, but theres plenty of great players who havent won it all....

also the people voting will be huge hip hop heads and will be well versed in all facets of the genre, they wont just pick whose popular if the skills arent there.

Esham and Brotha Lynch Hung would be shoe-ins btw and anyone who doesnt see that is delusional in my eyes...both originators in specific genres of rap
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 11:21 pm

This is slightly off topic, but please, please never use Vince Carter and Allen Iverson in the same sentence ever again. That is all.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 11:32 pm

Idon't think SRP is saying KGR isn't a HOFer. He's simply saying he's not a no brainer first ballot HOFer(SRP feel free to correct me if i am wrong). While i disagree with him, he's not being as disrespectful as some of you are making it sound.

Personally for me, I was late to hop on the KGR bandwagon, but if you just listen to him, you can blatantly see his influence on hip hop(especially in the 90's). I often wonder what rap would have sounded like if not for KGR. What would Nas sound like? Prodigy? Pun? RA The Rugged Man? Would we have gotten OB4CL? What would Biggie's storytelling sound like if there was no KGR? If i can't picture hip hop without him, it's hard to say he's not a first ballot HOFer. Either way, it's still all opinions. People shouldn't get this bent out of shape over these things.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Apr 2011, 12:22 am

straight lyrical abilities, mic skills first ballot

RA
KGR
Canibus
Killah Priest
K-Rino
Eyedea
Ras Kass
Pun

(ALL of these dudes are more skilled and lyrical than, say, the dudes on my first HOF list, but that's the point, that is only ONE piece of the criteria.)
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Apr 2011, 2:28 am

parker lewis wrote:
I would say that most fans would credit Priest with at least one classic. Are you not familiar with his music, Tran? Just don't like it?

Come on Park, you are talking to me here...of course I'm familiar with his music, copped most of his albums (solo, group). I'm just missing a couple of his newer albums. I just don't feel he has a hip hop classic, his albums are usually very solid, but there's a few tracks in all his albums I find myself skipping every time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2   Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hip Hop Hall of Fame 2
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2